Tasty Tuesday~ Irish Apple Cake Recipe

If you are planning a St. Patrick’s Day celebration, you are going to love this recipe! This is a recipe for a traditional Irish Apple Cake. It is not so much cake as it is a bread, and it isn’t sweet. If you want to sweeten the cake up top it off with some vanilla ice cream.

Irish Apple Cake
Here is what you need:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 stick of butter
¾ cup sugar
3-4 Golden Delicious apples (or Granny Smith)
2 large eggs
½ cup milk 1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons sugar for topping

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Prepare a 9” round baking pan with cooking spray.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
Using your hands or pastry cutter cut butter into dry ingredients until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
Add sugar and mix.
Peel and slice apples into thin slices and toss with flour mixture.
In a separate bowl beat eggs, milk, and vanilla add to apple mixture.
Toss and stir well until flour is moist. The dough will be very sticky and dense.
Spread into pan, flatten the top of the dough and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick test is clean.
Cool on wire rack.

[yumprint-recipe id=’28’]

Comments

1. Thanks for the recipe. I think I woulkd like to try this one sometime.

2. This looks so yummy! I love anything with apples. We have 5 apple trees, so I am always looking for good recipes! Thanks for linking this to the This Is How We Roll Link Party!

3. Lisa Ehrman says:

This looks great! I would like to try something like this for St Patrick’s Day! Thanks for sharing 🙂

4. denise low says:

This look very delicious. Thank you for the recipe.

5. Looks so delicious! I am going to try this recipe!

6. I’ve never tried an Irish apple cake but it looks and sounds delicious. I will trying baking it at home and tasting it for the first time.

7. angela smith says:

i love stuff with apples in it.i’ve never heard of irish apple cake but i’d love to try it.it looks yummy

8. Katie Ellis says:

This irish apple cake looks yummy. I have never tried but it I will now. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

9. That recipe sounds good. I prefer Granny Smith apples for cooking. They hold up better and I like the tart flavor.

10. denise low says:

Thanks for the recipe. We eat alot of apples. This looks delicious

11. Anne Marie Carter says:

Wonderful recipe to bake for St. Patrick’s Day! I am going to make this for next week.

12. shelly peterson says:

This recipe looks really good. We love apples so I’m sure the kids would enjoy this.

13. This sounds like a great recipe, I’ll definitely want to try this out for this St. Patrick’s Day as I love having St. Patrick’s day meals!

14. I love apple cake and will have to try this recipe!

15. This recipe looked so good, I copied it down. I am due to make this this coming weekend. I thank you for the share.

16. nicole dziedzic says:

Awesome recipe with some yummy ingredients, I love this and yours came out incredible. I bet it is so good.

17. denise low says:

yummy yummy looks very delicious

18. Julie Wood says:

This Irish Apple Cake looks so delicious and a fun recipe to make for St. Patty’s Day or any day for a nice dessert! Your cake turned out so pretty!

19. Lisa Aliperti says:

Love cooking and baking with apples.

20. rebeccabasset says:

Oh this sounds so delicious, and it looks wonderful too! I will have to try this!

Thanks for the Post, Pictures and the Recipe!

21. Looks amazing! Wish to have made this on St Patty’s Day

22. Marnie G (Derrick Todd) says:

This looks really good. I’ve added this to my “To Try” list. Hopefully I’ll be able to make it this weekend!

23. denise low says:

I think this would be a good recipe. We love apples. So I know that we would love it.

24. This sounds good. I’ve never tried it. I like Granny Smith apples for baking. They’re firm and tart. A nice contrast with the sweetness.

25. Dianna Thomas Davis says:

Sounds interesting– I’m going to try it — looks real easy– thanks for heads up on sweetness– I will have it with ice cream <3

26. Mmm, so is it like a soda bread?

27. Tamra Phelps says:

Oh, this looks good. I might put a glaze on it or some icing, lol, because I love sweetness!