I am so happy that it is almost Spring! The trees are finally starting to get some buds on them, and the birds and squirrels are slowly making an appearance at my house. I love to feed the visiting critters at my house because it makes my small backyard come alive. I have been making DIY homemade bird feeders to hang in the trees. The DIY bird feeders are inexpensive to make, and also up-cycle plastic soda bottles. Rather than spend $20 on a bird feeder I spent $3 to make my own.
Here is what I used:
Plastic soda bottle (label removed, bottle rinsed and dried)
2 wooden spoons
Drill a small hole in the lid of the bottle. Thread wire through the hole and twist to make a large loop for hanging. Decide where you would like the wooden spoons to be placed. I angled mine slightly so the bird seed would flow out onto the spoons. Carefully using the Exacto Knife cut the plastic bottle for the spoon head (I cut mine into an upside down T shape so the back of the spoon rests slightly in the bottle) make sure there is a large enough hole above the spoon head for seed to flow.
Cut an X where you want the spoon handle (make sure that it is a tight fit) push the handle through. Do this for each spoon. Fill the bottle with bird seed, screw the cap on and hang. Viola a DIY homemade bird feeder!
For more fun Easter/Spring ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Easy Easter Craft: Washcloth Bunny by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Easy DIY Garden Markers by A Mom’s Take
- Bunny Cupcakes by This Mama Loves
- Simple Spring Wreath by Simply Southern Mom
- Carrot (Cake) Cupcakes by Mom Does It All
- Ultimate Easter Egg Dye Guide by The Guavalicious Life
- Edible Easter Placemats by Two Boys One Girl and a Crazy Mom
- DIY Colorful Spring Wreath by Home and Garden Cafe
- Monogrammed Earrings by How Was Your Day
- Nest Necklace by Style on Maine
- Fun and Healthy Easter Recipe for Kids: Crepe Cookies by Our Family World
- Make an Easy Painted Eggs Easter Craft with Dollar Store Supplies by My Kids Guide
- Spring Tea Party with Lemon and Ginger Scones by Day by Day in Our World
- Spring Button Canvas by Better in Bulk
- Carrot Cake Cookie Cups by About a Mom
- Spring Tulle Wreath by Upstate Ramblings
- Easy DIY Spring Tote Bag for Girls by Philzendia